10 March 2006

Three--No, Four--Questions

Went to a local shopping center this morning and suddenly decided to ask random strangers a trio of questions.

Don't worry: I've done this before.

A total of 21 people answered My questions, and their most common responses are in brackets below.

"If you could change something in the world, what would that be?" [Startled, weak smiles, curious gazes at My hat, clothes and tennis shoes (all recently-laundered), pensive looks, big smiles when answering.]

Answers ranged from gender issues ("I'd change my wife for a younger model", spoken by a guy who was obviously alone), and politics ("Kick the governor out!"), to economics ("Make sure I win the next 10 Loto drawings!") and revenge ("Buy the company I work for and fire my bosses!")

The next question was the heart of My plan:

"Are you very satisfied with yourself?" [Puzzled looks, glancing away or down, rueful smiles or frowns, shaking head, lower-pitched voice.]

No one said "yes". Not one person. Which gave me 21 reactions to the last question:

"So why didn't you answer first that you'd change yourself?" [Angry stares, open mouths, aggressive stances, harsh responses of the "None of your business", "Who the hell are you?" and "Go to hell!" variety; only one person smiling and saying she didn't think of it and telling Me I was being impertinent.]

We blame the world when all We can control--really control--is Ourselves.

The Jenius opts to avoid any further sermonizing here in favor of a final question: Did you answer the first question with "Me"?

The Jenius Has Spoken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love it. Excellent! Sorry but I got to the punchline before considering answering the first question. Now my scientific objectivity is compromised and we'll probably never know if I would have said, "me." Sigh.

Aw, who am I kidding, I wouldn't have said me; "ME" is a forgone conclusion, so obvious as to be devoid of significance.

You crack me up, Gil. I wish I had the daring-do to try something like that.