01 July 2009

Vote for El Yunque!

This won't take long...

I know there's a campaign on to have El Yunque National Forest, the only tropical rain forest in the whole U.S. of part of A., declared a modern wonder. You know, like the 7 Wonders of the World, part III. Or IV.

I know there's a UNESCO New Natural 7 Wonders of the World campaign on because I see ads on dozens of pages across the whole wide GoogleTubes urging the User--in this case, Me--to Vote for El Yunque!

I must have seen that ad over a hundred times. Maybe missed it another few hundred times. Heard about the campaign somewhere and about how El Yunque was ranking high in this round. I think.

And then it dawned on Me that I should vote. Not out of some sense of Yo soy Boricua pride, but from the realization that is a veritable wonder that We haven't already screwed up El Yunque beyond all recognition.

If you saw this, then you'll know exactly what I mean.

So I voted. For El Yunque, ranked #3 in Group E. And I also voted for the Amazon rain forest, (ranked #1 in the same group as El Yunque), Mount Everest (#9 in Group C), The Great Barrier Reef (#3 in Group G),  the Grand Canyon (#5 in Group D),  Niagara Falls, (#2 in Group F) and the Galapagos Islands (#1 in Group B.) Rankings here. Vote here.

And maybe UNESCO's campaign can help Us keep saving El Yunque. From Ourselves.

The Jenius Has Spoken.

 

No comments: