09 August 2005

Tom Peters Rules

A friend called me up about yesterday's post and said to The Jenius: "You were pushing it a little."

No. I. Wasn't. I said so and told the person--someone I respect--that the only effective message was one that "went too far." She disagreed, but that's why We are friends.

Then, about an hour ago, The Jenius came across a manifesto by Tom Peters, the business guru of business gurus, called "Tomato Toma(h)to." You can find this amazing idea piece at Change This.

If you download nothing else this year, download this Peters piece.

Here are excerpts from Tom's "dream" that he had settled for the sops "They" sell:


They say I demand too much.
I say they accept mediocrity and continuous improvement too readily.

They say "We can't handle this much change."
I say "Your job and career are in jeopardy; what other options do you have?"

They say the Web is a "useful tool."
I say the Web changes everything. Now.

They say "We need an Initiative."
I say "We need a Dream. And Dreamers."

They say "We need more steady, loyal employees."
I say "WE NEED MORE FREAKS WHO ROUTINELY TELL THOSE 'IN CHARGE' TO TAKE A FLYING LEAP...BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE."

They say "We like people who, with steely determination, say. "I can make it better."
I say "I love people who, with a certain maniacal gleam in their eye, even a giggle, say, 'I can turn the world upside-down. Watch me!'"

They say "Sure, we need CHANGE."
I say we need "REVOLUTION NOW."

They say "We need GOOD PEOPLE."
I say "We need QUIRKY TALENT."


They say "CONGLOMERATE & IMITATE!"
I say "CREATE & INNOVATE!"

They say "Market share."
I say "Market CREATION."

They say "Integrity is important."
I say "Tell the Unvarnished Truth, All the Time...or take a Long Hike."

They say they need a "vision" born of McKinsey.
I say we need a "Grandiose Dream" born of a Passionate & Intemperate Belief that the world can be a different, better place."


They say they want recruits with "spotless records."
I say "The Spots are what matter most."


They say "no child left behind."
I say "education" is leaving ALL our children behind as it is totally misaligned to deal with tomorrow's (this afternoon's) uncertain, ambiguous, creativity-driven economy.

They say "Order is the necessary precursor to measured, sustainable success."
I say "Dis-order is the precursor to Opportunistic Sorties, Market Creation, Quantum Leaps and Entrepreneurial Adventure."

They say "Employees need Well-Defined Structure."
I say "Talent should be encouraged to embark on Quests to the Unknownn."

They say lifetime employment was a boon.
I say lifetime employment was Indentured Servitude, modern-day Slavery.

They say "safety net."
I say "I am my own safety net; give me the 'Ownership Society'."

They say "Continuous Improvement."
I say "Bold Leaps."

They say "Radical change takes a decade."
I say "Radical change takes a minute." (See AA.)

They say "We can't all be Revolutionaries."
I say "Why not?"

They say this just a Rant.
I say this is Reality.

They say "The man is not nice."
I say "The times are not forgiving."


You've come this far, so download the entire manifesto here. It should be sent to every adult in Our Industry, so please do what you can to spread it around.

"They"--The Fools--have never been and never will be worthy of Our Time. The governor, senators, representatives, department secretaries, mayors and practically the entire government of Our Island is a vast pile of fertilizer. The Internet Society, Center for New Economy, Retailers Union (Detallistas), Chamber of Commerce, Puerto Rico Manufacturing Association and their brethren-in-inanity are "led" by feeble-minded worshippers of the past. They are lumps where We need Leaders.

The time for Us to lead came years ago. We are not--not--too late. We can and We MUST catapult Our Island into its brightest, boldest Future ever. The Fools, those wretched crumbling idiots, will never get Us there. Dump them. By the time "They" notice, We'll have Our Future well in hand.

Tom Peters is a Universe above The Jenius in terms of business thought and influence. Maybe you can ignore My words: Only a Fool would ignore his.

The Jenius Has Spoken.

No comments: